Thursday, June 18, 2009

warring about peace corp


I am constantly pondering over this topic for a while now. I am considering joining the Peace Corps. My aspirations are to get into Physician Asst. skool at Duke. But in conjunction with the GRE i need clinical hours(hands-on patient experience). The Peace Corp would definitely help me out in that regard. I also feel like traveling abroad will enlighten and mature me.

The Peace Corp is a volunteer service first established by John F. Kennedy on March 1, 1961. It is intended to send American volunteers to various places on earth to work with skools and government in areas of health, agriculture, business,etc.

My dilemma is that it requires a 2yr service abroad. Not to mention the fact that I probably wont be able to get back to the states until at least a yr so that means it would be very tedious to communicate(well i know i could write but may not be physically present). Now if you been following my blog(if not then y not) u know i have a lil gurl around 8 yrs old. I am also in love with someone("chica") although we are not a couple at the moment. I don't want to leave neither of them and plus I would be leaving family and friends. On the one hand it would be an experience of a lifetime to travel to say the motherland(Afrika for non-blacks). I am a huge proponent of volunteerism yet it is different when u travel abroad. I feel volunteering in Amerikkka is less impactful than say helping children in Kenya to get basic health care and education. I know there are unfortunate people here in Amerikkka but in other countries there are people suffering due to politics or wars,etc. Yet on the other hand there are people here that I am extremely close to and i don't want to leave. Definitely not my daughter cuz she needs her father. My ex-girlfriend is a different situation we are in a hiatus right now it is complex(as all relationships) but i am in love with her but i don't know if we will get back together. Does that mean I should not wait and see or pursue my dreams and if it is meant to be it is meant to be? I am confused...but right now i am volunteer at Duke Hospice so that goes towards my clinical hours as well as satisfying my need for altruism.

I dont know what is goin to happen I tend to go with the flow(but not a follower by no means). We shall see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment