Saturday, June 6, 2009

Can't we all just get along?

The title of this blog is a quote from the now infamous Rodney King who, in '91 was beaten severely by LAPD. It resonants a tone of compassion every time I hear it thus the reason why I chose to use it. I want to discuss the recent visit by President Obama to Cairo University in Egypt. The title of the speech was called "The New Beginning". I purport that it is a step towards the future; harmony amongst all people. He addresses various topics that include the Israel-Palestinian conflict, Women's rights, etc. but 90% of the oration was about (to) Muslims around the globe. I am not an overly religious person but my foundation of my faith is rooted in Christianity. I grew up going to church as most southern Black families did. I do not contend that I know everything about certain religions (and really not wanting to) but I can venture and Islam is being portrayed wrongly. I think partly by ignorance and partly through generalization from terrorist that proclaim Islam as their religion. I know that we all interpret meanings of text differently and truly I believe in all religion there have been bloodshed in the name of (insert here). The gist of the speech I think was for everyone to reevaluate their viewpoint of Muslims and Islam and conversely for Muslims to do the same for others.

I agree with President Obama that are differences make us the same and we should honor ones faith,opinion, etc. I don't believe these extremist that kills innocents in the name of ALLAH are truly fulfilling His word. I just think the end result of all conflict should be peace. Why would you want to be on edge all the time when, if you sit down and collectively resolve an issue tranquility can exist? There is a common ground in all conflict; no you may not get all your concession but it is better than nothing. I feel that whether or not you liked everything about his speech don't be Dr. Killjoy; see the overall message: peace and prosperity for all.

One statement he made was true to form to paraphrase -the past will keep you from moving forward. The time is now whatever differences you have had in the past it is just that leave it in the past and think for the future. I believe we should envision a future where people don't view others in a condescending manner and know that no one people are better than another.


No comments:

Post a Comment