Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ownership


I was looking at my fingernails and tried to remember the last time I got a manicure. Hmmm...itz been a minute but it prompted me to pose this question: Where are the black-owned businesses? I am sure there are a few but they are definitely far b/w. For example I have yet to find a black nail shop itz always Asian. Shyt even in the "hood" near me there is an Asian-owed hair shop. What the hell Asian ppl know about Black ppl hair??!! Kudos to them though cuz they know what sells in the "hood":weave,perms, urban wear and alcohol.

Really folks this is serious. I am not talkin about where u have blacks working at an urban clothing store owned by Arab-Americans or a few black women at the Asian-owned hair store. I mean "legitimate" Black-owned entrepreneurs who see the value of bizness and have real concerns about the needs of Blacks in underserved communities. Instead of a ABC store have a health food bodega or a clothing shop that doesn't have "im so hood" T-shirts.

I can empathize with the mindstate of denizens of impoverished areas. The ability to desire change is not there. We have to demand for more and not fall back in the presence of opposition. We need more black businesses that are there to really help not hinder the community. Really why is there a liquor store on every corner in the "hood"? Cuz we allow it. Economics 101 is supply and demand. Whomever supplies the product because ppl want(demand) for it. Let's break the mold and take control of our situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment