Monday, October 19, 2009

Morehouse undressed


I was conversing with my brother yesterday and he mentioned a policy change at Morehouse College, the prestigious all-male university is Atl. This policy reform was in regard with attire; they have banned "inappropriate" attire across campus. Offenders of this policy would not be allowed to attend classes until they adhered to the policy and recidivists would be suspended from skool. This is in large part to some kats wearing dresses etc to class.

As most know Atl is known for a large percentage of the gay population, some down low and some flaming scalding hot. I am not against homosexuality (well umm let me restate that i am not for it but you do you!) but I actually am a propenent of this new policy change. It also refers to doo-rags, baggy pants, etc( see CNN link for story: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/17/college.dress.code/index.html). I think this is a paragon for change amongst blacks esp. males. To me itz just like u are at work and ur job says "look playa u have to wear a shirt and tie everyday..". I am for that cuz you are a professional and though u are more than ur clothes appearance does matter. Yeah there in skool but where does it end?? Y not start now and omit certain attire when attending classes. I shout for independence and creativity but leave that shyt at home when u not handling bizness.

I was on the outside lookin in(on the subject of dress) a while back myself. I am a rebel(stubborn rather) saying that ppl shouldnt worry about my manner of dress cuz I am who I am converse with me and find out. A friend once told me that a lot of ppl aint goin want the time to be tryin to figure me out. That is true most if not all ppl somewhat judge u on ur appearance; it is a defense mechanism in a sense. If u lookin like hotghettomess.com many are goin to avoid u entirely but if u dressin nice and look clean then that will at least get ur foot in the door when opportunity knocks(whether it be a job or convo). I'm workin on tryin to look decent most of the time even when i am goin to the store u neva know who is watching and u mite pass up a chance cuz u lookin bummy...

This story touched me cuz it is a smaller theme to a bigger picture. I am for a dress code in schools for the most part. I have a lil gurl( see older post) guess what she told me the other day "i cant wait to go back to skool to show off my new clothes.." I didnt say anything to her cuz she is just 8 right now so i let it slide..for now. But that is the mentality a lot of young kids have they wanna be so fresh and so clean when u should be worryin about ur skoolwork. Again dont get me wrong i am not overly conservative but if ur sole purpose is to look fly @ skool we got problems. For those who know me I LOVE TO SHOP(yes ladies i will give u a run for ur money) and i like to look fly all the time and though i am an older god i know ppl wanna look nice and everything but i know my responsibilities. We need to instill in the youth that it aint all about being fly...yes u should dress appropriately for the situation but not just for the sake of it. I believe if there are dress code policies in skool there would be less ridicule for students of low economic status less parading around and more focus on real things like grades, establishing relationships with students and teachers; it would have a huge effect on our young black youth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment